Re: Honesty in Debian (was Re: Amendment to GR on GFDL, and the changes to the Social Contract

Xavier Roche dijo [Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 10:55:57AM +0100]:
> > > Fonts or documentations are not softwares, for god's sake!
> > everything that is not hardware is software
>
> So a cat is a software, or a hardware ? Do I have to provide the sources
> (the DNA full sequence) if I want to give a kitten to someone, following
> the "free" spirit ? :p

A cat is not licensed under a viral license ;-) And, more important,
is not covered by copyright law (at least, I have not heard of a
breeder copyrighting the colors and/or design in the back of his
carefully-bred kittens)

> > all the rest is excuses and play with words.
>
> My opinion is that my holiday pictures aren't neither hardware nor
> software.

Mine are mostly software nowadays, but my father still prefers the
hardware version. Oh, and very important: It should be no surprise to
you that I am not constant with my choice of license - Some of my
pictures are _not_ redistributable nor modifiable. Some, of course,
are.

> > Indeed, but they should know (and we should tell them), that the hardware they
> > are buying is not free-software friendly
>
> Err, I think the problem is that most users *do not care*. They just want
> their card to *work*.

Remember Debian is not after the market share. I'd like more people to
use Debian, as long as Debian is what it has always been - And by
incorporating ndiswrapper-requiring modules, it would change its essence.

> I think this more productive to make their card work, AND then tell them
> "this card is working with a non-free piece of thing, meaning that you may
> have problems in the future in case of bugs or after upgrading your
> system. please ask the manufacturer to do something about it"

And break the stability promise we make?

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23