Re: Linux Forums

Am 2006-01-25 14:28:29, schrieb Anders Breindahl:

> I might pitch in, here. Almost two years ago, I have been in the
> community for almost two years, and in my experience, web forums are
> useless. Generally, of course.
>
> As a new GNU/Linux user, you have some rather recurring questions:
> - I have this crazy Windows habit -- how is that done in GNU/Linux?
> - I lack a replacement for this Windows program
> And, the less trivial:
> - I can't get this to compile
>
> The way I see it, the first two bullets should be covered in some
> central document. Does Debian have a migrating-from-Windows guide?

Not directly in Debian, but there is a "Windows-To-Linux-HOWTO".

I think, it should entirely rewritten.

Maybe a 100% Debian-Rewrite on how-to let Debian do the same things
as Windows but better, without reboot-orgies and Bluescreen.  :-)

> The last bullet is the interesting one, as some community interaction is
> required. Rather often, I look back and think, that I would have been so
> much better off mailing a mailing list with my troubles. I searched the
> web, crawled forums, and my all-in-all trivial question could more
> easily be answered at d-u. My problem was, that I was afraid of mailing
> lists (that is, how the experienced community would react).
> Once that fear was overcome, I had no trouble using mailing lists. In
> fact, the superior degree of seriousness is very appreciated.

:-)

> So, IMHO, Debian needs to integrate new users more into the mailing
> lists -- at least, rather than forking the community.

Why not make a combination between ML and Forum?  Exactly, an advanced
List-Archive a la YahooGroups!  This would be a benefit for all.

> Also, some quick-start links from the download pages would be smart.
> Most of us use some 10m - 2h on downloading a disc, while sitting more
> or less idle in whatever working operating system. We could encourage
> people to jump across a few lightly-read guides?

FullACK!

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi