Re: Delete my message on one Debian List Please

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 04:11:41PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 03:31:44PM +0100, Javier Candeira wrote:
> > Regardless of past disclaimers and policies, would it be possible in the
> > future to do some masking of email addresses in online archives?
>
> I strongly oppose this suggestion. It is frequently needed to e-mail
> the author of a mailing list message that has been posted a long time
> ago, and a chance of doing so is worth it.

  The suggestion wasn't to remove the addresses, but to "mask" them.
 That would still allow you to lookup the sender addresses if you
 wished.  eg "foo@example.com" -> "foo at com.example".

  I'd strongly second the proposal myself, as well as updating some
 of our other email-based-systems.  For example listing emails in the
 qa pages, in Debian changelog entries on packages.debian.org, etc.

  95% of my incoming spam is sent to my @debian.org address - and
 whilst making a change now is probably too late to fix the problem
 it might help others in the future.

Steve