Re: Proposal to delay the decition of the DPL of the withdrawal of the Package Policy Committee delegation

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:01:11 +0300, Kalle Kivimaa <kalle.kivimaa@iki.fi> said:

> Martin Wuertele <maxx@debian.org> writes:
>> I disagree with the Policy delegation decision of our DPL [1] and
>> therefore propose a resolution as defined in section 4.2.2 of the
>> Debian constitution to delay the decision of the Debian Project
>> Leader keeping the Package Policy Committee as defined[2] in place
>> until the Debian Project Leader has found at least three people
>> "who'll be active in maintaining policy according to the policy
>> process"[3] and delegates them. Consequently the REJECT for uploads
>> of debian-policy must be removed.

> Actually, we really cannot vote on this as such, as the Secretary
> has already ruled [1] that the DPL has no power to delegate the
> responsibility for the policy manual, as that would contradict the
> powers of the Technical Committee. So, AIUI any vote should first be
> taken on the ruling on the constitution, as I don't think we can
> force the DPL (or the ftpmasters) to take an unconstitutional
> action.

        Sorry, that is not the intended ruling. The ruling was in
 answer to a query about a random group of undelegated developers
 changing policy, which would be unconstitutional.

> We can of course force the DPL to allow the TC members to have
> upload access to debian-policy.

        There are three ways policy can be changed:
 a) The Technical ctte can do so
 b) A group of developers can do so, via a GR, with a 2:1 super
    majority (essentially, making the decision the tech ctte can make
    -- think of it as over riding inaction)
 c) The DPL can delegate people with the power to change policy.

        manoj
--
The meek shall inherit the earth; the rest of us will go to the stars.
Debian Project Secretary <secretary@debian.org> <http://vote.debian.org/>