Re: Policy delegation

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 11:27:47PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         Given that there is no delegated power to change the technical
>  policy, I can only see that the technical policy may be changed by a
>  GR, or by the technical committee. 6. Technical committee

I think you're mistaken, and that policy maintenance comes under the
usual powers of the individual developers maintaining policy, namely
section 3.1 ("make any technical or nontechnical decision with regard
to their own work"). But you're the secretary, so on constitutional
interpretation your word's final.

>  So the policy editors have no
>  right to upload any new manual, unless the constitutional issues are
>  clarified by the project.

As per that interpretation, I've added a REJECT for uploads of
debian-policy. I won't be looking into formally creating a new delegation
'til after etch has released, at which point I hope we can find at
least four people who'll be active in maintaining policy according to
the policy process we've had for quite some time.

>         Since it would be unfair of any one who has write permissions
>  to the policy

All developers have the ability to upload new versions of policy (or at
least did, prior to the REJECT).

>         Or, perhaps, the tech ctte can directly take over the policy
>  manual, as provided for by the constitution.

Maintenance of the policy manual is designed to be a lightweight task
that doesn't require significant creative or editorial judgement (that
being exercised in the drafting and discussion of proposed changes prior
to the actual inclusion), that doesn't seem entirely out of the question
should policy need updating prior to etch's release.

Cheers,
aj