Re: Improving the DAM-queue?

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 11:53:27AM +0000, Bill Allombert wrote:

> Now I am quite concerned that I would never had become a DD if the
> process at the time has been the same as now, and it would not be
> by lack of patience on my part. I find that ethically difficult to
> bear.

I too am troubled by how long it takes.  I put in my own NM application
shortly before Sarge released.  Just about three weeks ago, Alex Wirt
wrote my AM report.  Given the current pace, it will be another four to
six months before I am through the complete process.  That means it will
have taken more than an entire release cycle to go through the process
of becoming a new maintainer.  Think about it.  That means it will have
taken me 22 to 24 months to go through the process.

Now, on my part I have always been timely in turning around my tasks to
Alex, with rarely more than a few days passing before I relpied with
complete answers.  Now, that hasn't stopped me frmo contributing.  I
have 18 source packages in main and I have contributed in other ways by
helping with bugs in packaegs which I use and even some bugs for
packages which I do not use.  I am now at the point where I feel
confident that I create and update my packages correctly the first time.
Yet, I am still at the mercy of waiting for someone to sponsor my
package uploads.  The people who take the time to sponsor my uploads are
in realuity wasting their own time.  Though, it is not their fault.  If
I were to sponsor a package by someone else I would check it
thouroughly, unless I presonally knew the person and understood the
quality of his work, or if was intimately familiar with his
contributions to Debian and knew that he knew what he was doing.

Unfortunately, I have not been around long enough for any but a handful
of DDs to get to know me that well.  Thus, people who don't know me and
don't know the quality of my work must waste time checking up on my work
so that they feel safe sponsoring my packages.  That time would be
better spent helping out someone who is just getting started.

Note, I am not trying to say that I am infallible or inacapable of
making a mistake.  Rather, that I feel that my level of competence is
at least equal to that of the average Debain developer.  The fact that I
am essentially in neutral fo the next five months or so until it is "my
turn" makes me feel like part of the problem, rather than part of the
solution.  It just discouraging, that's all.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez