Re: Using money to fund real Debian work

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 11:54:46PM +0000, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 12:34:01PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > The set of projects that can be funded are projects proposed by Debian
> > developers. I expect Debian developers to propose only projects that are
> > improving Debian.
> >
> > If some of those projects also serve the private interest of someone external
> > to Debian, then it's a net win for us to have someone ready to fund the
> > associated work. The "sponsor" has not gained any decision power, he has only
> > been accelerating something that a Debian developer already wanted to do.
>
> This means that someone with a lot of money will be able to decide which
> projects will be completed just be funding them. Other projects will not
> be completed because people will lack time and incentive even if these
> projects would improve Debian more. Developers will tend to propose task
> that are likely to be funded. The "sponsors"  will have a large decision
> power of what is done and rightly since they funding the development.

Right. Unfortunately, that already happens, totally off the project
control. And exactly the same happens in upstream projects, too.
So, I'm missing the point. Why situation should be better without d-t?
Because it is out of the project control?

--
Francesco P. Lovergine