Re: Using money to fund real Debian work

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 09:40:40AM +0200, Thibaut VARENE wrote:
> On 10/8/06, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> >This is not related:
> >- known developers are not necessarily bad developers
> >- technically good developers are not necessarily unknown
>
> These are extremely bold assumptions, stated as if they were facts. Cunning.

I don't see anything bold in these statements.  Your claim that these
statements are "extremely bold" is, on the other hand.

What Raphael is saying in the first statement is that there could exist
at least one known developer that is a good developer.  (Hell, he's not
even saying that it *has* to be so).

For this statement to be false, you'd need to prove that there is no
way what-so-ever that a known developer could be a good developer.
By proving this you would prove that it's impossible to become known
for being a good developer - only bad developers become known.
Now *that's* what I'd call a bold statement.

The second statement says that there could exist at least one
technically good developer that isn't unknown.  (Again not a statement
that claims this to be true, just the possibility).

For the second statement to be false, you'd need to prove that
all technically good developers are unknown; by proving
that there are no known developers that are technically good.

On the other hand, just showing that one single technically good
developer is also known, would prove these statements.

Let me drop some random name just to satisfy you: Joey Schulze.
Known developer, technically good.  There you have it.  Both
assumptions proven.

Of course, you could start to argue about the definitions of good or
known at this point, but that would just be childish.

Except for possibly in an alternate reality both of these
are true, if not *necessarily* in theory, then at least in practise.

[snip]

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //