Re: New website layout / design contest?

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 07:23:05AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:

> Our priorities are our users and free software.

But people who aren't running Debian aren't (by definition) our users,
so trying to attract them with shiny slow graphics and distracting
color changes and annoying animations and excessive clutter and other
hallmarks of "modern" websites is not our priority.  Maybe you want we
should use Flash everywhere too?

And saying that "our priorities are our users" doesn't mean that we
should try to dazzle our users with glitzy graphics and "cool"
interfaces when they want help and information.  It means we should
provide them help and information when they want help and information.

Anyway, I'm not opposed to the idea of a website redesign.  But when
people say, "how can we make it look better" rather than "how can we
make it work better", that worries me.

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single