Re: New website layout / design contest?

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006, Paul Belanger wrote:
> I'm sure not all debian developers feel that way, if that is the case, why
> release a quality product at all? I'm not a developer but I certainly care

Because some of us care for quality no matter how many users are there.

Just remember that the attitude that gave our website that minimal look is
everywhere in Debian.  That said, I have nothing against someone who cares
about it doing a website face-lift either, as long as it doesn't make the
website any worse.

> heard of it? The project homepage gives a good first impression. Think about
> it, if you were looking to hire someone for a job and knew nothing about the
> people you were interviewing....one guy was dressed in a nice suit another
> in bummy clothes what would your first impression be? I don't see any

That the guy with a nice suit doesn't know what he is getting into, and when
I need him to crawl under the racks at 03:00 in the morning because stuff
blew up, I might not be able to count on him.

After all, I want engagement, high motivation, good team work skills, and
technical excelence, not looks.  I am not hiring models or direct sales
people.  I need IT warriors.

That's why you interview people very carefully, the guy could have shown up
in a suit because he was under the wrong assumption that it would be bad for
his chances if he showed up in casual clothing (but looking reasonably well
kept).

This goes for users looking for a distro too.  If he is so moved by
appearances, then Debian is probably the *wrong* distro for him.  And our
website may not be in a suit, but it is well kept enough to let people know
Debian ain't just another mess of packages.

  Henrique Holschuh