Re: Recompilation of ALL Debian packages ...

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 10:21:06AM -0400, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was listening to madduck's presentation for Irish LUG
> (http://blog.signal2noise.co.uk/cgi-bin/blosxom.pl\
> /technical/martinfkrafft_talk.html) and I was quite shocked to
> learn, that not all binary packages are compiled through buildd
> network, but that most binary packages (mostly those created on
> i386 platform) are uploaded directly by DD.
>
> In bad old days when I was using RedHat I dimly remember that
> contributions to contrib/ directory at RedHat.com were allowed
> to be only as .src.rpm packages and 386.rpm were immediately
> deleted without RH system even thinking about them (through
> crontab). Why in the world is this not done Debian is besides me
> (actually, I thought, it IS done) -- I don't think there would
> be not enough buildd machines with i386, if Debian people would
> try to find them.

Accordying to James Troup, whom i asked exactly that at some past debconf,
this is because if there is some lag in the x86 buildd, then loads of user
will complain to them about non-installable packages, and the
ftp-masters/buildd administrators being volunteers and not paid and everything,
don't care about being given such pressure.

Not to mention that this is the case for almost all non-x86 arches, and the
fact that elmo does exactly the same thing when working for ubuntu.

Notice also that source-only uploads where allowed in some distant past (some
4-5 years ago), but explicitly disabled.

Friendly,

Sven Luther