Re: Concerns with Open/OS Corporate Linux ads?

* martin f krafft [Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:17:39 +0200]:

> Then they go on to state that Debian is

>   - reliable
>   - secure
>   - upgradeable
>   - integrateable
>   - preconfigured
>   - remotely administratable

> and that they add support and maintenance, which adds the features

>   - reliable release cycle
>   - newest packages
>   - security team
>   - preselected packages
>   - security administration
>   - certification
>   - software tests

> I'd be interested in what people think. Am I just overreacting?

I think you're reacting in the wrong direction (or at least, in the
wrong direction for a *first* reaction.)

With this I mean that, if Debian initiates contact with this entity, I'd
like for it to be to mention that, if they're interested, they can
contact DPL-delegated Project Member Joe to work out and discuss
possible ways to have some of their work go back to Debian. (See below)

I'd offer myself, but while I know the Debian side well, I'm quite
unfamiliar with the enterprise environment. I'd be happy to act as an
assistant of the delegated person, should anybody step. :-)

                                 * * *

Having their work go back to Debian may sound impossible to you if you
think of "straightaway", but it should be workable. To mention a couple
ideas:

  * release the backports they produce ("newest packages") after a
    while; eg. release backport for AppFrog X.Y.Z right after they've
    made X.Y.Z+1 available to their clients; or X.Y+1.0; or X+1.0.0.

  * allow the staff that prepares security updates for them, to spend 1
    out of each X working hours preparing a patch for a vulnerability
    present in a stable package they don't support, coordinating with
    the Security Team as to not duplicate effort.

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

«Ara que ets la meva dona, te la fotré fins a la melsa, bacona!»
                -- Terenci Moix, “Chulas y famosas”