Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

Jacobo Tarrio <jtarrio@trasno.net> wrote:
> El miércoles, 23 de agosto de 2006 a las 21:24:16 +1000, Anthony Towns escribía:
>
>> We choose to apply the DFSG both to the components that the Debian system
>> requires, and to what we use to provide debian.org services. It can be
>
>  No, the DFSG are applied to what's provided by Debian, not to what it's
> required by it.

The DFSG apply to "The Debian system". The social contract doesn't
define what "The Debian system" is. We could define it as "What's
shipped by Debian", but we could also define it as "A system consisting
of a computer and a Debian installation" or "Whatever is provided by
Debian and run on the host processor".

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.project@srcf.ucam.org