Re: package ownership in Debian

On Sunday 30 July 2006 13:24, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 07:57:32PM +0200, Julien Danjou wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 07:23:09PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > So, that's a clear example where the team maintenance can be as useless
> > as letting only one people maintaining a package.
>
> So what?
>
> The apache team may be one example of team not working well, but I'm
> pretty sure we can find tens of examples of teams working well.
>
> The real point is whether people moved from individual to collaborative
> maintenance found a better working environment and if the resulting
> quality of packages has increased or not. For the former aspect a poll
> among DDs would be enough to tell, for the latter my feeling and
> experiences tell yes, but it's hard to check.
>
> Note that if only the former aspect is true, and if at worst the package
> quality did not improve (as in the apache case) it may still be worth
> massively moving to collaborative maintenance.

Seems like apache team is working as single maintainer effort, i.e. short of
manpower?. FWIW, I hardly can imagine monster project like KDE, GNOME,
OpenOffice, Linux kernel, GCC, glibc to be maintained by a single individual.
The efforts being put in these are rather additive than overlapping. Again,
no mandatory component implied here ;-)

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB