Re: Branding for Debian derivatives -- "Debian Distilled"

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 04:59:58PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> The other question is what logo we should use that sums up our ideas
> about derivatives, and is pretty and that people want to use. I'd *love*
> to hear ideas for that; I'll also followup with a sketch of an idea I
> think is possible.

Okay, so this is just my idea. Add grains of salt to taste, etc.

The idea is to take the Debian "official use" logo [0] which we've
never really made much use of, and declare it the logo for derivatives
instead. Add the word "distilled" [1] underneath, and you could describe
a derivative something like this:

    "Foo Linux" is Debian -- distilled. We've taken the best bits of
    Debian, removed some of the rough edges and bottled the result. We
    hope you'll like it.

Coincidentally the official logo has a swirl without the Debian swirl's
rough bits, and a bottle! And I think "removing the rough edges" and
"bottling it" is a pretty fair description of the aims of many Debian
derivatives to boot. And I don't think it's entirely unfair to say that
developers and users who prefer Debian itself also tend to prefer the
rough edges and raw flavour of Debian too.

Anyway, it's just an idea that I thought was interesting, please do
come up with your own ideas, or hack this one to pieces by changing the
description or coming up with a different logo, or whatever.

Cheers,
aj

[0] http://www.debian.org/logos/officiallogo-100.jpg

[1] distill
      v 1: remove impurities from, increase the concentration of, and
           separate through the process of distillation; "purify
           the water" [syn: {purify}, {sublimate}, {make pure}]