Re: Constitutional Amendment GR: Handling assets for the project

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:18:44 +0200, Bas Zoetekouw <bas@debian.org> said:

> Hi Manoj!
> You wrote:

>> + Traditionally, SPI was the sole organization authorized to hold
>> + property and monies for the Debian Project.  SPI was created in
>> + the U.S. to hold money in trust there.

> I'm wondering about this part.  It seems to me like just a historic
> overview of the old situation, which IMO does not belong in the
> constitution.

        This is a lead in for all the material that the constitution
 has about the SPI, and as you have discerned, as well as being what
 the wording suggests, a historical background that explains the
 special place for SPI in the rest of the section.

>> Debian's Developers are eligible for contributing
>> membership in SPI by virtue of their status as Developers.

> I don't think it makes sense that the Debian constitution determines
> who can become a member of SPI.  That is something that should be
> (and probably is) described in SPI's bylaws.

        This is true.  There seems no reason to mention this in the
 constitution, since an action by the SPI board can change that, and
 the constitution amendment would be required to marry the
 constitution with reality.

        What would the seconders feel about deleting this sentence
 from the proposed draft?

        manoj
--
Leave bigotry in your quarters; there's no room for it on the
bridge. Kirk, "Balance of Terror", stardate 1709.2