Re: RE : Re: RE : Re: Linux Magazin Germany, affecting Debian's image?!

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 19:54 +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
> You are the only one who thinks that a trademark is being misused.
> You are wrong.

You are not in court. Neither of us has the right to declare the other
is wrong.

I am *not* the only one -- I am only one with such a blunt language.
Steve Langasek just replied at Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:56:16 -0700:
«This does not mean those Debian developers have free reign to use the
trademark however they wish.  Debian developers acting independently should
absolutely be expected to honor the trademark the same as anyone else;
having your key in the keyring doesn't give you a free pass to dilute
Debian's trademarks to the project's detriment.»

> You are right that it is not official. You you are dead wrong in
> thinking that therefore one must not state what it is an unofficial
> version *of*.

Well, unofficial, but... "die deutsche Mitglieder des Debian-Projekts
liebevoll zusammengestellt haben."

I mean... made by German members of the Debian Project, huh?

Because I suppose that if I made up my own "modified Debian" and I'm
sticking it to a magazine and label it "Debian Sarge, enhanced", I could
be sued for that. I SHOULD BE SUED FOR THAT.

> 3) You are jumping to completely wild and unfounded conclusion about
>    what it means when the origin of the software is being acknowledged.

You never said how comes that something labeled "Debian" should *not* be
available as free download, as long as debian.org says Debian GNU/Linux
is available for free download!

> Please provide legal references for the "responsibilities" that you
> persist in claiming someone has. To whom do you think those
> "responsibilities" are owed?

If you don't care about your brand, you'll lose the respect of your
partners. Companies like RHAT are defending vigurously their brand. It
seems Debian has more lax approaches. Definitely, *their* lawyers are
better than *yours*.

No, really, you can't afford to have various editions sticking around,
labeled just about the same, with the risk of confusing them. Or you'll
just take the risk of losing users.

R-C F