Re: RE : Re: Linux Magazin Germany, affecting Debian's image?!

#include <hallo.h>
* Radu-Cristian FOTESCU [Sun, Jul 16 2006, 07:44:00PM]:

> I'm terribly sorry to say, but I'm disappointed by the unprofessional
> approach. Or, take it the other way around: if unofficial backports can be
> seen as official, how comes we can't download the "updated CeBIT 2006
> edition" DVD?
>
> This is both frustrating and confusing for the image of the Debian.

Then stop bitching and do something about it. Do you prefer this "new
image" over the usual image of "beeing outdated when released and
unuseable on most Desktops 5-10 months later"?

What about making backports part of the official strategy? Eg. promoting
Stable+Backports (approved) as "Debian Stable, Freshmeat series"? A
small committee would look at the quality of backports and allow them to
be added to official releases of this "special edition". Eg. doing that
every two months after things has settled down in backports archive.

Why do we not do that? Because of additional work? I doubt. Because CD
vendors want to press 100.000 CDs for the next 12 months at once?

Eduard.