RE : Re: RE : Re: Linux Magazin Germany, affecting Debian's image?!

--- Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> a écrit :
> Then stop bitching and do something about it.

I agree upon that I should be doing something rather than whinning. But I',m
noit involved with the Debian Project and I can't take any decisions here.

> Do you prefer this "new image" over the usual image of
> "beeing outdated when released and
> unuseable on most Desktops 5-10 months later"?

This is not quite a new image. It's a confusing image. I can point this URL
to 10 people which are *not* using Debian, and 4 of them will ask: "why isn't
this official then? or is it official, maybe?! where can I download it?"

But I disagree on the unusability of Debian Sarge.

> What about making backports part of the official strategy?
> Eg. promoting Stable+Backports (approved) as "Debian Stable,
> Freshmeat series"? A small committee would look at the quality of backports
> and allow them to be added to official releases of this "special edition".

Again, I'm just a user, I can't decide. I'm using backports.org, but I'd
rather prefer to have some of them officially endorsed.

Maybe approved backports could be added as a different tree, like having:
"main", "contrib", "non-free", "approved-backports".

Regards,
(the said) Béranger

http://fr.mail.yahoo.com