Re: "Debian Powered" Logo

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 02:25:52PM +0200, Pierre HABOUZIT wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 02:20:12PM +0300, Yavor Doganov wrote:

> > No, he would not.  Ubuntu, as well as Debian, unfortunately, contain
> > non-free software, and RMS has dedicated his life fighting against it.

>   debian does not contains non-free software. non-free is not part of
> debian, it's only supported using the same tools.

This is the wrong argument--although it's true, it also leads to
endless flamewars.  The correct argument is that the GNU project
actually supports non-free software as well!  The only difference is
that the FSF (mostly) limits themselves to supporting running Free
software on top of non-free software, while we (mostly) limit
ourselves to supporting running non-free software on top of Free
software.

The GNU Project goes to great pains to ensure that their software runs
well on top of non-free software, such as Windows, AIX and HPUX.  For
them to try to claim the moral high ground over Debian is rank hypocrisy.

Neither project encourages the use of non-free software, though.
Both, in fact, encourage their users to use Free software.  For me,
that's pretty much the bottom line, so I support both projects.

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single