Re: "Debian Powered" Logo

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 12:14:03PM -0500, Ean Schuessler wrote:
> The Ubuntu site says that ubuntu means "I am what I am because of who we
> all are". If Ubuntu is ready to live up that slogan and publicly
> acknowledge that it is what it is *because* of its Debian origins,
> rather than despite them, then I think that is great.

The trouble is that Debian is not of one mind on this subject, among others.
In particular, Ubuntu has received harsh criticism from Debian developers in
the past for pointing out that they are, in effect, contributors to the
Ubuntu project.

The conversation between Debian and Ubuntu has been cyclic over the past two
years, and it's time we stopped oscillating and found a balance.  First we
were accused of claiming too much involvement from Debian, then of not
giving credit; first of not being involved enough in Debian processes, then
of trying to influence them inappropriately.

Draft an official statement, have it agreed upon by the Debian community,
and present it to derivatives as suggested best practice.  Decide what kind
of credit is appropriate, where and how discussions with derivatives should
take place, and all of the other issues where disagreement has been
highlighted by Ubuntu's presence.  If needed, it can be revised later, but
Debian needs to be consistent in order to end this pattern.

Derivatives can't accept offhand comments on Debian mailing lists as
statements on behalf of the project, and can't be responsible for judging
consensus within Debian.

--
 - mdz