Re: BSP Marathon (or: helping releasing etch in-time)

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 11:36:14PM +0200, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [ Please send follow-ups to -project, headers set accordingly ]
>
> As you should all know, we had some bug squashing parties before
> the release of Debian 3.1 "sarge". These were quite effective,
> especially when they were centered around a meeting in real life. This
> led me to the proposal of a row of BSP this fall, helping to prepare
> the release of Etch.
>
> Naturally, fixing RC bugs is needed all the time. The BSPs we are
> planning will be focused on some sub-systems, so to help to release
> etch, *you* need to fix RC bugs all the time, so finish reading this
> mail, choose an RC bug and try to fix it!

BTW, altough it is not noted RC, there is one point which would be good to
handle in this BSP.

I discussed with MArco d'itri the way to best handle udev/kernel upgrades
lately, as i got a very failed upgrade which left my system a full mess, the
other day.

The udev package now has a textual interaction in this case, and the right
thing to do (as Md admitted, but has not time for), is to use a debconf
question to tell the user that he has a kernel not supported by the new udev,
and to propose to either abort the install (default, as it does now), or
continue the upgrade, with the thought that udev may well be a mess until the
next upgrade.

This is a rather easy task for someone with the time for it, and thus perfect
for a BSP party.

Friendly,

Sven Luther