Re: Proposal: The future of the Debian NM process

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 01:27, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) 2006-05-16
> <[🔎] 200605161307.57199.cobaco@linux.be>
>
> > what's the rationale for needing a 2nd package?
> >
> > e.g. I currently maintain 1 small simple sponsered package, I also have
> > contributed for several years as a translator.
> >
> > If we're introducing a new stage with upload rights for specific
> > packages why shouldn't I be able to get upload rights for my 1 package?
>
> That's definitely a point to be discussed. I'm reluctant to give
> upload rights to people who haven't much experience yet
> and the number of packages certainly limits experience in terms of
> problems you have encountered and mastered. If you've been maintaining a
> single package for some time, you should definitely be allowed to upload
> it,

right so we're on the same page:
if we're talking 'upload rights to a specific' package then it's 'packaging
experience with that specific package' that counts.

Hence any experience with a second package shouldn't be required for getting
upload rights to a first package. If on the other hand you've already
demonstrated packaging skills with x packages then it should be easier to
get upload rights for the package x+1.

> though there has to be a lower limit on the involement (like the
> mentioned 3 months). We should find some guidelines which measure
> that. Yes, that is a very greyish area.

I agree with a lower limit, but I think it would be better of to specify it
in terms of "certain number of uploads" as opposed to "some time limit":
I might have done 1 upload and just wait a 3 months, or I could have done
several uploads over that same period

-> that would lead to:
  - first x packages: needs to have passed lower limit of experience with
    package in question (for whatever test of 'experience' we end up with)
  - further packages: need to find sponsor to do initial upload, but DM
    should be able to get upload rights ASAP after that
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)