Re: Issues regarding powerpc and Sven

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 04:38:31PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> As I suspect you're all already aware, on 27th April, Sven Luther asked
> me to review the situation with d-i and powerpc as a result of finding
> his commit access to the d-i repository had been removed. Having spent
> some time since then seeing what's been going on, I've concluded that
> removing Sven's commit access was a reasonable course of action, and
> won't be asking that you accept Sven's request to have it reinstated.

Anthony, d-i team.

I would very much like to get the detail of the reasoning behind how you
concluded that it was a reasonable course of action, also in the light of the
additional detail i gave you concerning the private email exchange between me
and Frans which preceded by a few days at most that decision.

Further, i want to point out that i am the original author of both the
nobootloader and prep-installler .udeb packages, and was also early involved
in partman-prep (which is currently broken) package from Cajus Pollmeyer.

These tree packages are in the debian-installer svn repo, and removing my
commit access means additional hurdle to me working on them, and i think it
would be more logical if this confirms itself, that those packages be removed
from the d-i svn repo and hosted somewhere else more neutral.

I don't believe this would be best for debian and d-i though, but it seems
that you failed to take those issues into account when you reached this
conclusion.

I believe that there was a failure in transparency in how this issue was
solved and how you came to the above conclusion, nor do i believe that there
is *ANY* justifiable argument which allow you to say that the removal of the
commit access was a reasonable course of action, and in any case, i have seen
no evidence that this removal of my svn commit access was expected to have any
technical effect, only a social one, to get ride of me and make sure i would
not be able to interact with d-i in the future.

If this is a reasonable course of action, i would like confirmation from you
on this, because this has some very profound signification to what debian has
become in the 8 years since i joined it, and i don't recognize me in it
anymore (and i believe i am not the only person in this case, from private
comments made by other long-time DDs).

I believe that the mediation attempts has thus failed, and that the proposal
you make has not evolved a bit since we started this, and that you gave all
the reason to the d-i team. I expected more from this mediation attempts, and
am severly disapointed. It is clear it is not worth the time lost in email
exchange with either you or Steve.

Friendly,

Sven Luther