Re: irc.debian.org

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 01:38:37AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> sven.luther@wanadoo.fr wrote:
>
> >The problem is that the high amount of disconnection one gets from freenode
> >makes this a pain, especially as it is not clear for clients like irssi when
> Do you? This is unusual, I have clients connected to freenode for many
> weeks at a time. Maybe we should discuss this offline to better debug
> which kind of issues you are having.

Ok, but i have thought about this yesterday, and i believe the problem is that
both on oftc and on freenode, not everyone is affected the same by a split.
Those who stay on the good side of the split don't see a problem, while those
on the bad side, ... It may also be related on the number of channels you are
on and stuff like that.

> >you are allowed to post or not, as the error message does not appear in the
> >/query channel, but in the log one, and it doesn't even specify who you tried
> >to /query and was blocked.
> I have always considered this an irssi misfeature. :-)
> (Anyway, it can be easily corrected.)

Sure. Let's file a bug report against this :)

> >You mentioned some auto-identify scripts, care to give an example of how that
> >would work and respond to both above problems ?
> The purpose of such a script is to automatically identify you to
> nickserv at connection time. Actually, you do not even need a script for
> freenode: just configure your client to use the nickserv password as the
> server password (if you use irssi: /help server).
> This is documented in the network FAQs, in the section "What's the
> easiest way to identify to nickserv when I connect to freenode?":
> http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#identify .

Yeah, the thing is, i use (like probably most DDs) the irc channels without
really being an expert, and without wanting to loose long hours reading badly
accessible documentation (and freenode is as bad as oftc on this account,
despite some claiming it is better).

This is i believe normal, and whatever network is chosen, it should be easily
usable out of the box, without initiatic knowledge :)

> >Also, i guess that if you allow none-reg /querying, this leaves you open to
> >wide amount of irc-spam that has been circulating in freenode, and supposedly
> >oftc is (still) less vulnerable to this.
> Currently spam is not a major issue. OFTC AFAIK is currently not a
> target of turkish kiddies, but this could change any day like it
> happened to freenode.

Indeed. The sheer size of freenode makes it a tempting target though.

Friendly,

Sven Luther