Re: summer of code: what's next?

Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 05:37:21PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
>>As has been mentioned on the -project and -private lists, Debian has
>>joined the Google Summer of Code programme, and project ideas are being
>>collected on the wiki [1]. Our participation is being administered
>>by Baruch Even, whom you should contact if the idea of spending some
>>of Google's money on improving Debian and giving a student some free
>>software experience sounds like a good idea to you.
> AFAIK the period for proposals is over.

The time to submit proposals is just now starting, it starts on 1st of
May 2006 according to the SoC Student FAQ.

> Baruch, could you please summarize the next steps for the Debian people
> who proposed projects?

I actually don't know much more than there is in the Mentors FAQ

The gist of it is that students now need to submit proposals and the
mentors can and should review the proposals and mark them. As of now

I think that a week or so from now the time for applications will be
over and by 22nd of May all decisions on which projects are to be
accepted or rejected.

> Some people mailed me about the proposal I made, I answered about
> clarification on the proposal, but I frankly do not know what should
> happen next? I guess other people are in the very same position. A
> public answer could help all of us :-)

If they are interested they should write a proposal and submit it in the
Google SoC site, there is a student FAQ for them at

To be frank, I'm new to this as well so I don't have all the answers,
I'll try to research it more and come back with more details if/when I
have them.