Re: About terminology for stable/testing/unstable

On Monday 01 May 2006 10:10, Christian Perrier wrote:
> My personal opinion is that we should maybe use "branch" rather than
> "distribution" to avoid that confusion. This is what the French team
> is considering (there are some people who object to this, though).

One problem with branches is that you should also have a "trunk" (that
which you branched away from), or at least a "root".
Talking about the "stable branch" does not seem quite right to me; using
"branch" for testing and unstable is quite natural, but then it fails as
a general term.

I wanted to suggest to make more general use of the term suite.
However, while writing this I (re)discover that there is a difference
between "suite" and "suit" [1]. Until now I'd linked the term "suite" as
used in Debian with "suit" as in the four suits in a deck of cards (with
oldstable, stable, testing and unstable making up the distribution; add
experimental as the joker).
I do wonder what was intended here originally...

[1] http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/suite
    http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/suit