Re: irc.debian.org

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006, Joe Smith wrote:
> If the move is done, the FN channels should be kept open and the
> topic should redirect users to OFTC. Then any packages that
> reference the FN channel should be updated.

My point was that the people who really need help just follow
irc.debian.org; the people who are giving the help generally don't
connect directly to irc.debian.org [as they know which network they're

> Otherwise there would be split between the networks.

There will always be a split between the networks; there are #debian
channels on most of the major networks.

Switching networks really won't cause the splits to go away; it'll
just change which network the majority of the conversations happen on
in the few cases where that hasn't changed already.

Don Armstrong

The sheer ponderousness of the panel's opinion ... refutes its thesis
far more convincingly than anything I might say. The panel's labored
effort to smother the Second Amendment by sheer body weight has all
the grace of a sumo wrestler trying to kill a rattlesnake by sitting
on it--and is just as likely to succeed.
 -- Alex Kozinski in Silveira V Lockyer