Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On 4/7/06, Micah Anderson <micah@debian.org> wrote:
> >         I'm sorry. If we can't trust these people not to abuse upload
> >  privileges, then I certainly do not want to see them get  a say in
> >  deciding how we conduct the project's business.
>
> By your argument, then the USA should give all its citizens access to
> our nuclear arsenal, launch codes, etc. because we trust them to have
> a say in deciding how the government is run.

Hmm, I see, you see yourself as government. That would explain the
dictatorial thinking as every governship tends to enslave the governed
people.
You should think of yourself as a representative of the users instead
of their master.

I wonder where did this go "Our priorities are our users and free
software". Probably, you forgot, but you are talking about Debian's
users here in general and constant contributors here.

> >         Eiether we trust them, in which case we should induct them in
> >  as full members, or we don't, and in that case they do not get to
> >  vote.
>
> There are many people in my organization that I trust completely, who
> do not have root on our boxes. They dont have root because of a number
> of very obvious reasons that have nothing to do with trust in other
> areas.

Your point being? Please talk about Debian, not some organization of
yours. The way you conduct your buisness does not affect Debian, or at
least it shouldn't.

> Your rigid definition of trust = upload don't make sense to me. Yes,
> you have to be trusted to be able to upload, but you dont have to have
> upload abilities to be able to be trusted.

Somehow, your argument is twisted. Nobody said that in order to trust
someone, we should let him upload and see what will that person do,
but quite the oposite was said - once you trust, upload should be
fine, without abuses.

--
Regards,
EddyP