Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On 6 Apr 2006, Benj. Mako Hill told this:

> <quote who="Steve Langasek" date="Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 02:30:46AM
> -0700">
>> And maybe I'm too heavily steeped in Debian culture to take an
>> objective view, but I don't see any reason why translators,
>> documentation writers, artists, et al. should look at the term
>> "developer" and conclude it's not for them.
>
> First, none of these groups usually think of the work that they do
> as development. That's just not he way the word is used. But that'a
> semantic argument. The larger reason that this is a problem is
> because:
>
> (1) We as a project (and an NM project) are hesitant to give these
> people developership since it means they can upload to the
> project which introduces a set of potential risks and problems
> (one more account to compromise, etc).

        I'm sorry. If we can't trust these people not to abuse upload
 privileges, then I certainly do not want to see them get  a say in
 deciding how we conduct the project's business.

        Eiether we trust them, in which case we should induct them in
 as full members, or we don't, and in that case they do not get to
 vote.

        manoj
--
Any given program will expand to fill available memory.