Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 17:56:06 +0100 MJ Ray wrote:

> Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk>
> > On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 16:35:38 +0100 MJ Ray wrote:
> > > Of your last 20 recorded uses of the word "Maintainer" on
> > > debian lists before this thread that I found, you use it once
> > > in another meaning (webmaster) and that was uncapitalised.
> >
> > Which makes "Maintainer" unsuitble for translation maintainers how,
> > exactly?
>
> If 95% of the time, people (including you, as described) use
> Maintainer to mean package maintainer, then people will not
> read Maintainer and think "...or translator or tech writer..."
> in this context. Many people (including me) would not even
> think of using Maintainer to refer to a translator.

I deal with packaging 95% of the time, so yes, most probably I use the
term mostly in packaging contexts. And when used in Debian Policy to
describe packaging rules, it makes sense to equal "maintainer" with
"package maintainer". But in a general Debian context I would be rude
to assume _package_ maintainance, ignoring other important maintainance
tasks within our project.

> > > What are the contributors doing if not helping to maintain
> > > the package, in your opinion?
> >
> > I do not talk about "contributors", but several different kinds of
> > "maintainers".
>
> You did write about contributors.

I wrote about those contributors committed to Debian by _maintaining_ a
part of Debian, be it packages, languages, law texts or other parts.

The most exact general term I know of for that group of contributors
is, well, maintainers.

Another general term, developers, is fine too. But IMHO not better. And
I see not reason to avoid the term "maintainers" to mean _all_
maintainers - even if some of them has other more suitable terms when
described by themselves - as is the case with those maintaining
translations as discussed below.

> > What eg. Translation Maintainers are doing besides helping maintain
> > some package is maintaining _consistency_ across packages, and
> > across pseudo-packages like our website.
>
> Isn't it easier and more common to call them translators, not
> Translation Maintainers?

It is, yes.

And it is easier and more common to call package maintainers
maintainers.

But that doesn't make "maintainers" mean only package maintainers.

 - Jonas