Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 16:35:38 +0100 MJ Ray wrote:

> Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk>
> > On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 14:18:13 +0100 MJ Ray wrote:
> > > [...] It seems better to name it after the
> > > target of the process, what they become - a Developer.
> >
> > The Maintainer mentioned in a package control field is a Package
> > Maintainer.
> >
> > I fail to see why details about maintaining _packages_ should make
> > us avoid the same term for other maintainance tasks.
>
> Of your last 20 recorded uses of the word "Maintainer" on
> debian lists before this thread that I found, you use it once
> in another meaning (webmaster) and that was uncapitalised.

Which makes "Maintainer" unsuitble for translation maintainers how,
exactly?

> What are the contributors doing if not helping to maintain
> the package, in your opinion?

I do not talk about "contributors", but several different kinds of
"maintainers".

What eg. Translation Maintainers are doing besides helping maintain
some package is maintaining _consistency_ across packages, and across
pseudo-packages like our website.

> In the debian context, I think Maintainer is commonly
> understood as a package maintainer. We have a less confusing
> word for a developer ("Developer"), so why not use it?

They are both fine words. Why _avoid_ one of them for some uses,
only due to them being less common?

> Hope that helps you see,

Sorry, it didn't. Possibly you are not to blame for that.

 - Jonas