Re: Uninstallation of GRUB with windows or use of xwindow system

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, [od] eeman wrote:
> I installed debian recently and i believed it would be somewhat like
> slackware linux. Apparently I was wrong. At first I thought it would
> be nice to dual boot debian with windows (and it is) But this was
> because I had originally thought that the start and startx and xconf
> would work with debian thinking they were standard linux commands.

You most likely want to actually install the X server.

Running tasksel and selecting the desktop task is the easiest method.

Alternatively, apt-get install xwindow-system;

As a final note, debian-user@lists.debian.org is the proper list to
request user support. This list is primarily for discussions relating
to the project itself.

Don Armstrong

--
"There's no problem so large it can't be solved by killing the user
off, deleting their files, closing their account and reporting their