Re: Advertising on Planet Debian

On Tuesday 03 May 2005 13:00, Pascal Hakim wrote:
> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 12:04:51PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 May 2005, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > > We are not accepting this on the debian-* lists normally, [...]
> >
> > I disagree. We *are* accepting it on the debian-* lists normally.
> > Do you want some random sample from my debian-lists-spam mbox
> > folder?
> >
> > What is commonly called "Debian mailing list advertising policy" is
> > currently a bad joke. IMHO, we should either:
> >
> > a) Be serious and remove such joke from lists.debian.org web pages.
>
> Just because no one is enforcing it at the moment, doesn't mean that
> it will never be enforced. If you wish to start chasing people to
> collect payment, then feel free to start doing it.
>
> > b) Be serious and prevent spam from reaching our lists *much* more
> > effectively. What we are doing to fight spam in the lists is
> > clearly not enough.
>
> What we are doing is mostly what the listmasters believe is
> appropriate. I'm at the point, where I believe that having much
> stricter spam checking results in too many false positives, or causes
> our users more trouble than its worth.
>
> If there was a perfect solution to spam, we'd all be using it
> already.

The filtering on the Debian lists can certainly be much better. I'm
using bayesian SA on my own server and for the past 4-6 months I've
seen a >99% result with only 1 or 2 spam mails getting through per
month and zero ham mails incorrctly getting marked as spam. And this is
done without much effort. I spend as little as 2-3 minutes per week
feeding/training it with new spam/ham.

Best regards,
--
Frederik Dannemare | http://sentinel.dk | http://linuxworlddomination.dk