Re: Advertising on Planet Debian

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 12:04:51PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2005, Martin Schulze wrote:
>
> > We are not accepting this on the debian-* lists normally, [...]
>
> I disagree. We *are* accepting it on the debian-* lists normally.
> Do you want some random sample from my debian-lists-spam mbox folder?
>
> What is commonly called "Debian mailing list advertising policy" is
> currently a bad joke. IMHO, we should either:
>
> a) Be serious and remove such joke from lists.debian.org web pages.

Just because no one is enforcing it at the moment, doesn't mean that it
will never be enforced. If you wish to start chasing people to collect
payment, then feel free to start doing it.

> b) Be serious and prevent spam from reaching our lists *much* more effectively.
>    What we are doing to fight spam in the lists is clearly not enough.

What we are doing is mostly what the listmasters believe is appropriate.
I'm at the point, where I believe that having much stricter spam
checking results in too many false positives, or causes our users more
trouble than its worth.

If there was a perfect solution to spam, we'd all be using it already.

Cheers,

Pasc
--
Pascal Hakim                                          0403 411 672
Do Not Bend