Re: Etch Release Tracking in debbugs (Was: Re: Bits (Nybbles?) from the Vancouver release team meeting)

* David Nusinow <david_nusinow@verizon.net> [2005-03-16 13:31]:
> For what it's worth, I feel like release issues are broad-based
> and heirarchical. Something necessary for release like "finish
> d-i" has multiple subtasks, and even subteams within the d-i
> team to manage the process. The BTS currently does not have this
> concept

Well, one specific subtask would simply be one bug report, then you
could have a higher level d-i bug report which depends on all the
specific issues and then have etch depend on that.  I think the most
important thing is to have *one* bug report for one issue.  This way,
you can easily close it when it's done.  What the BTS allows really
badly is to update one bug report which covers multiple things
(because you cannot really delete stuff from a bug report, only add
new information; so big bug reports get really hard to read after a
while).

> An alternate possibility is a whole new codebase that's completely
> independant of the BTS, but can interface with it. Things like the
> qa developer pages take this tactic.

Indeed, this may be the way to go.  Have some system which offers to
link to the BTS and to graphs on the web or so.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/