Re: Bits from the ftpmasters

martin f krafft wrote:
All we want is information, AJ.
If it is okay with you, I propose an experiment. Over the next days
(or weeks... after all you surely have your priorities), I ask you
to prepare a little announcement or document which states the
following:

And you know, all you're achieving by this is making it less likely that I'll even consider it. Seriously, here's the sums you're proposing:

	1) irritate aj
	2) make aj waste lots of time writing irrelevant emails
        3) apologise
	4) wait
	5) have aj do what you want

(1) (2) and (5) are work or irritation for me, (1) and (3) are just formulaic emails, (2) and (4) involve a little patience on your part, and (5) is the pay off.

So I get 3 big drawbacks, and no gain; you get two small drawbacks, and a big win. In sum, from your perspective and asusming this works, this is definitely the way to go, so if you're a rational person, or if anyone watching you is a rational person, they're going to want to repeat your little experiment to get whatever they want.

What's worse, is even if I was planning to do (4) anyway because I thought it'd be useful, doing so now would make it more likely someone would *think* it was your scheme that made me do it, and would thus try it out themselves in future.

(Alternatively, I could just ignore it at (2), in which case you or someone else just repeats (1) until I get sick of it entirely and we move ahead as planned; or you repeat (1) and then (5) happens, and we get the same situation that people think (5) happened because of (1), with the same drawbacks)

Would you be willing to try this experiment?

So, no, definitely not.

But hey, if you're really desperate for something (and TBH, I can't see why you would be), I am often responsive to bribes. To pick an entirely random example, tiffani support in Apt proper would be of some small interest...

BTW, debconf talk idea: "How to *actually* stop participating in a thread when you say you're going to". Feh.

And ffs, why are we having this conversation instead of talking about cool stuff for Apt 0.6? Sometimes the best way of letting a sore heal is *not* poking at it constantly, you know...

Cheers,
aj