Re: Bits from the ftpmasters

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 08:08:55PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
> >an attack on a subgroup you have a grudge against.
>
> Bah, that was uncalled for. I've no reason to think Thomas is holding
> any grudges.
>
> What's sad is that even as Martin Krafft seems to be sincere in wanting
> to apologise and get on with things (in private mail anyway), the torch
> is just taken up by Thomas and Joel and MJ Ray anyway and the
> accusations of working against the project continue without abate.

You asked, in another part of the thread, why nobody listed "ask nicely".
Because it gets ignored (or at least, no reply or feedback is ever
forthcoming, which is indistinguishable externally from being ignored, spam
blocking, or /dev/null routing - but 'being ignored' seems the most likely
from other comments made).

If the torch is "call for transparency in Debian processes so that people
have some idea what the **** is being done by volunteers appointed to the
post", then I didn't "just take it up" - I've carried it since before I
joined the project.

As was noted in another email, I have never worked with any other volunteer
organization where "the right to do no work" translated into "the right to
hold a position and not do the tasks associated with it", only that one
could not be required to accept a position with responsibilites beyond what
one wanted to do.

We don't let random developers who never upload, never speak, and don't
answer their mail continue as developers with voting rights, after a
certain point (we call them "MIA", instead). If "not do any work you don't
want to do" is really enshrined as you interpret it in the Constitution,
then we have violated it every time we revoke an MIA account, because we
have no statement of their intent to resign, as opposed to merely doing no
work.

I see no reason this doesn't apply to "the tasks of handling a Debian role
account" just as it does to "the tasks of being a Debian Developer". And
'communicating with the rest of the project' is one I expect of even normal
DDs doing significant changes, much less role accounts. The chestnut of
"not working against others" doesn't mean anything if the situation is
already such that there is no way others could even attempt to do the work
in the first place (vis, having control access to the necessary machines
and accounts to do the ftpmaster work).
--
Joel Aelwyn <fenton@debian.org>                                       ,''`.
                                                                     : :' :