Re: Dealing with drivers that need firmware on the filesystem

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 14:00:51 +0000, Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> said:

> As you say, there's a couple of practical issues. There's also the
> fact that putting something in contrib is something of a judgement -
> we're saying that this driver needs non-free code to work, and as a
> result isn't worthy of going in main. Which is a touch misleading -
> its dependence on non-free code is no stronger or weaker than for
> many drivers in main.

        I must confess I do not see it that way. I think of Debian as
 distriuting softwware that runs on a platform, this platform consists
 of hardware, and, perhaps, associated software burned into
 ROM/flash. We do not distribute the hardware, and the user arranges
 for control to be transferred to Debian on power on.

	I, thus, draw a line between what runs above this line, and
 things that run below, that existed before Debian started running.

	Software that resides on disk, however, lives on our side of
 the divide; the kernel, and the filesystem drivers are required to
 mediate delivery of this non-free payload to the system, and it can't
 just be considered, in my opinion, just part of the hardware platform
 on which Debian runs (albeit  a part of the platform that is
 software).

	I do not expect this distinction I draw to be the same for
 everyone else, but I do contend that there is a difference between
 these drivers, and a difference that is logically consistent, and
 compatible with we shall not make our system depend on non-free
 stuff.

	manoj
--
Agnes' Law: Almost everything in life is easier to get into than out
of.