Re: Dealing with drivers that need firmware on the filesystem

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:

>         I must confess I do not see it that way. I think of Debian as
>  distriuting softwware that runs on a platform, this platform consists
>  of hardware, and, perhaps, associated software burned into
>  ROM/flash. We do not distribute the hardware, and the user arranges
>  for control to be transferred to Debian on power on.
>
> 	I, thus, draw a line between what runs above this line, and
>  things that run below, that existed before Debian started running.

As you say, there is a line to be drawn, and where that line gets drawn
is fairly subjective. I'd prefer to draw the line at a point that
results in consistent provision of freedom - if the availability of free
firmware is a worthwhile thing, then I think we ought to want it in the
"firmware in flash" case too. On the other hand, if our users don't need
free firmware when it's in flash, why do they need it when it's on disk?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.project@srcf.ucam.org