Re: Your posting: Debian on one dvd?

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 05:12:18PM -0500, Daniel Tasch wrote:
> "One of the problems Linux users in countries like India have is low
> bandwidth. They prefer to get their distributions on CD or DVD as far as
> possible. Debian is very badly affected by this as we usually stress
> updating over the net."
>
> This is not just a problem in contries like India.  I am in the US and am
> still on dialup, and can only get 26k at that.  I have to update my redhat
> by mirroring the updates at work where I have a good connection, burning a
> CD, and brining it home via "sneakernet".
>
> I would love to be able to use Debian, but dealing with a new packaging
> system along with it's extreem network-centeredness is making that
> impossible.  What Debian really needs is to give some consideration to
> people who have to do this manually.  Not everybody has a high-speed
> internet connection.  Please be more inclusive.

There's full CD sets of the latest stable release, plus the packaging system
makes it easy-to-trivial to make your own local mirror offline, either via
CDs or on a hard drive.  Programs such as apt-zip can also help you maintain
a system in circumstances where you don't have direct network connectivity.
If none of those options rock your world, describe what *would* do it for
you, and the chances are that somebody has already done it, or can describe
it in a few minutes.

- Matt