Re: Using debian commercailly

ma, 2005-12-19 kello 16:11 +0100, Niklas Collin kirjoitti:
> Hi, I was a bit confused by the licensing information. I wonder:
>
> 1)       What is/which are the license(s) for debian.

Debian consista of about ten thousand different programs, which we have
packaged into separate packages. Many programs have a unique license,
specific only to itself. The programs in the "main" section of Debian
all follow our guidelines for freedom. See
http://www.debian.org/intro/about and http://www.debian.org/intro/free
and http://www.debian.org/social_contract for more information.

> 2)       Is it permissible to use debian commercially (not redevelop
> the source code, only to use the OS to run a database and some other
> applications) without having to make the application source for the
> applications we develop free publicly?

Yes, for the programs in our "main" section. For programs that are not
there, but in our "non-free" section, you have to check the license of
each program separately.

--
You need fewer comments, if you choose your names carefully.