Using debian commercailly

Hi, I was a bit confused by the licensing information. I wonder:

1)       What is/which are the license(s) for debian.

2)       Is it permissible to use debian commercially (not redevelop the source code, only to use the OS to run a database and some other applications) without having to make the application source for the applications we develop free publicly?

Niklas Collin

Ps I’m not signed up to the list. Is that necessary to receive a reply too this email? Ds