Re: Ubuntu/Debian cooperation [was: Complaint about #debian operator]

On 12/15/05, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> > It is their choice to fork with (possibly) too small manpower to keep
> > up.
>
> They could just as well do their changes directly in the debian archive, and
> have the ubuntu guys only recompile, or maintain the ubuntu-specific patches
> which should *not* go into debian. That is provided the debian maintainer is
> not an **** and refuses the patches out of sheer stuborness and
> package-tirany, but this is a debian problem which needs his solution
> independently of the above.
I really didn't get this proposal, please elaborate on that (perhaps
in private mail, if it gets too off-topic for -project). Without
really understanding what you suggest, I doubt that it will be
practicable, because it takes significantly more time to submit to
debbugs, wait for the DD to prepare an upload and get it synced back
than just uploading it to the ubuntu archive and have it on the
mirrors a few hours later. For the moment, I rather consider doing
both (submitting to bts and uploading to ubuntu) be the most practical
approach. If the debian package accepts all our patches, we can
eventually sync again.

> The real problem is that many of those ubuntu-not-officially-supported
> packages ahve never even heard of debian, and contributing back doesn't come
> naturally to them, the issue is less with those maintainers ubuntu subverted
> from debian, altough they may be hit by lack of time, which is an issue better
> handled by doing the modification in debian and not ubuntu though, but may be
> counter-productive to maintaining a separate ubuntu facade or whatever :)

Sorry, I could not parse this sentence. I assume this is another
accusation to either universe packages or MOTU in general.

--
regards,
    Reinhard