Re: Complaint about #debian operator

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 11:29:14AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> writes:
> > On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 12:55:22PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:

> >> This says you are wrong:
> >>
> >>   http://people.ubuntu.com/~scott/patches/

> > So if I were to diff the Debian archive against the Fedora one, I'd be
> > contributing to Fedora? Cool! That'll bolster my CV a bit.

> If Fedora were using the same packaging system so that the packaging diffs
> were meaningful, you separated out the diffs for the upstream source and
> the diffs for packaging, and you continued doing this on a regular basis
> so that Fedora maintainers could see what changes were made in Debian that
> they might be interested... yes, you would indeed be contributing to
> Fedora.

As absurd as Andrew's comparison may seem, the diffs distributed from
http://people.ubuntu.com/~scott/patches/ are pretty underwhelming as far as
"contributing back to Debian" is concerned.  Last time I poked at a package
diff there, IIRC the site showed me the diff against the last official sync
point with sid, *not* a -- so instead of looking at what Ubuntu had changed,
I was looking at n months of the Debian package's own diffs, plus the bits
changed by Ubuntu, all thrown in together. :/

So I'm sorry, but automated diffs made available for Debian maintainers to
poll are better than *not* having them, but they don't really score many
"giving back" points in my book.  For that matter, neither does making their
package changes publically available in repos that use a SCM that's not
(yet?) part of most DD's skillset.  There are obviously perfectly valid
reasons why they've standardized on the SCM they have, I just have no
illusions that it's magic juice that makes the Debian-Ubuntu relationship a
perfect partnership.