Re: Ubuntu/Debian cooperation [was: Complaint about #debian operator]

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 04:17:32AM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 01:06:51PM +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > There's "I screwed up because I made a mistake", and there's "I screwed up
> > because I don't actually know what I'm doing", but "I screwed up because I
> > didn't care about doing a quality job" is on a whole other level.
>
> I have much sympathies for the two-dozen-odd MOTUs which are supposed to
> maintain the 10000-odd packages in universe without much help in order
> to make the whole distribution shine - we should cut them some slack,
> IMHO.

As Jonas said, the MOTUs did take the job on of their own volition.  The
issue comes back to the standard set of "knobs" you can fiddle with in
software development: time, resources, scope, and quality.  You can take
longer, increase staffing, reduce scope, or reduce quality.  With rigid 6
month release cycles, it's a bit hard to take longer, and it's tricky to
increase staffing when you're all volunteers, but it's a pity that the MOTUs
have decided to drop quality instead of scope.

- Matt