Re: Ubuntu/Debian cooperation [was: Complaint about #debian operator]

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 04:17:32AM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 01:06:51PM +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > There's "I screwed up because I made a mistake", and there's "I screwed up
> > because I don't actually know what I'm doing", but "I screwed up because I
> > didn't care about doing a quality job" is on a whole other level.
> I have much sympathies for the two-dozen-odd MOTUs which are supposed to
> maintain the 10000-odd packages in universe without much help in order
> to make the whole distribution shine - we should cut them some slack,

As Jonas said, the MOTUs did take the job on of their own volition.  The
issue comes back to the standard set of "knobs" you can fiddle with in
software development: time, resources, scope, and quality.  You can take
longer, increase staffing, reduce scope, or reduce quality.  With rigid 6
month release cycles, it's a bit hard to take longer, and it's tricky to
increase staffing when you're all volunteers, but it's a pity that the MOTUs
have decided to drop quality instead of scope.

- Matt