Re: Approaching VMware (and others) to get Debian listed as supported ?

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Steve Langasek wrote:

> Er... does this mean they're unwilling to support (386,686,686-smp,k7,k7-smp)
> flavors, or they're unwilling to support both a 2.4 and a 2.6 kernel, or
> what?

I recall explaining our release process to them.  But at the time, sarge
was nowhere in sight and they had the impression most people used sid
(which as Ben also reports they felt moved too fast for them to support.)
and compiled their own kernels.

> Even in woody, this was as much variation as we had in kernels; there
> may have been kernel version/feature skew between architectures, but last I
> checked VMWare didn't work on those other archs anyway.  In sarge, there is
> no longer kernel version skew between architectures, but the flavors are
> still there, and this isn't going to change for etch.  (Maybe the 686{,-smp}
> and k7{,-smp} flavors could be merged, but that's about it.)

They do support kernel flavors for the other distributions they officially
support so it would be a pretty poor excuse for them to hold that against
us.  They probably haven't kept themselves informed of the situation that's
all.

I notice they plan on supporting Ubuntu.  Companies have the advantage
they have people specifically to deal with ISVs while we just kind of wait
for them to figure it out for themselves.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>