Re: Approaching VMware (and others) to get Debian listed as supported ?

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Ben Pfaff wrote:

> "Yann Dirson" <dirson@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Debian is not listed in the list of supported OS on the VMware website[1].
> >  We all know here there is no reason for it not to work, especially given
> > the huge number of other distros listed there, but in the corporate
> > environment, yada, yada.

[...]

> It would probably be more difficult to get added to the list of
> supported host operating systems.

VMware talked to us about this at linuxworld once.  The problem is that most
distros have one official blessed kernel for their releases.  Debian
is more chaotic^Wdiverse so it is hard for them to do the QA to guarantee
it will work for all Debian users.  Perhaps with all the work the kernel team
is doing, they will change their minds for etch.  In the meantime, they
are responsive to ideas that will make it easier for Debian users to use
VMware.  That's what they told me anyway.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>