Re: Delegation for trademark negotiatons with the DCCA

<quote who="Michael Meskes" date="Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 12:54:18PM +0200">
> > anyone. As long as it is clear that they are an external (commercial or
> > non-commercial) entity, I would expect no problem to implictely or
> > explicitely granting many more groups derived rights to the trademark
> > "Debian". Only the wording "core" used in combination with the trademark
> > "Debian", implies to me a very specific relationship to the project.
>
> But the word "core" is not meant as in "core of Debian" but as in "core of
> several distributions based on Debian".

Right. It's clear that you intend the name to be both clear and
clearly a legitimate use of the mark. But not everyone understands
the name the way you have meant it.

If the name is confusing people about your intentions, it would seem
to be in everyone's best interests -- including the DCC's -- to find a
name that conveys the group's goals more precisely.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill