Re: Delegation for trademark negotiatons with the DCCA

<quote who="Peter Vandenabeele" date="Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 03:07:07PM +0200">
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 02:38:38PM +0200, Peter Vandenabeele wrote:
> > So a naming in the sense of "Debian Commercial Support Association"
> > or something along those lines would seem to make it clearer to me
>
> ... or just stick to the original "DCC" as "Debian Commercial
> Consortium".

My problem with this name is that sounds primarily descriptive and
implies exclusivity to me.

Let's say that Ubuntu, Guadlinex and another distro want to create a
new association for giving back to Debian. Wouldn't that also be a
Debian Commercial Consortium? Why does Progeny and Co. get first dibs
on the name?

The DCC has a specific idea of what giving back to Debian in a
commercially viable way means but it is by no means the only one and
shouldn't encourage names that might lead people to believe that it
is.

I think that any license to use the Debian trademark should be not
imply exclusivity. This is why "SLX Debian Labs" is such a better name
than than "Scandinavian Debian Labs" or even "Debian Foundation
Norway" (both ideas that were tossed around at one point).

"Debian Labs" implies that someone works with Debian but are does not
necessarily represent the entire project. Either of the other names
above would also have implied that they were *the* lab for Norway or
Scandinavia. In fact, we'd love to have *lots* of labs and no lab's
name should imply otherwise.

Regards,
Mako

--